Motorcycle Gas Tank Buying Guide
The Kinds Available
There are several, and they come in all shapes, sizes, and capacities. Some brands manufacture narrow, high-tunnel, and low-tunnel types, while others offer everything from bobbed and stretched to prism, coffin, and dished.
What They're Made of
Generally, one of three materials: steel (in the case of most bikes), which is exceptionally durable and weldable; plastic, which is lightweight, doesn't rust, and is low-noise; or, more rarely, fiberglass. Depending on the kind, it may even have an internal coating to stave off corrosion.
The Parts of One and What They Do
- The liner: seals the tank, safeguards against deterioration
- The line: joins the tank to the engine and shunts gas to and from it
- The filter: prevents infiltrates from getting into the engine
- The cap: closes off the tank from the outside after you add or remove fuel
- The petcock: a valve, which controls the flow of gas; some have on, off, and reserve settings, while others run automatically
Signs it's Time to Replace One
- If it's dented and you can't just pop out the dent, put on fresh body filler or another patch, and repaint
- If it's leaking and you can't weld or braze it
- If you're building a custom bike and need a higher capacity (absent being able to put on an auxiliary or reserve fuel tank)
- If you want to add a touch of personal style
In such cases, a new fuel tank is easy to install: most bolt on, and few need any extra welding or fabrication. If you are putting in a new one, however, be sure it's the genuine OEM article. BMW designs them specifically for its motorbike lines, after all, which means a guaranteed fit and finish.
Genuine BMW Motorrad Fuel Tanks for Sale Online -- Shop Now
You can order just what need, right here. Simply browse our catalog by model and year; it'll make finding what's compatible go a lot more quickly and easily. Buy now, and we'll ship fast, delivering directly to your door before you know it.
No results found for "fuel tank". Here are some helpful search tips:
- Search by a part name. Example: water pump.
- Be less specific. Example: brake instead of ceramic brake.
- Remove information such as make, year or model.
- Can't find the part you are looking for? Contact us and we'll find it for you!